Sundays are a great time to relax, laze around the house, and get some reading done! We all know we should be reading more, but a lot of times it’s hard to settle on a book or to find one that’s right for you. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best books out there right now, perfect for summer reading!
- Circe, Madeline Miller - This novel retells a little know Greek myth about Circe, the daughter of the Titan, Helios. Banished to an island by Zeus, Circe meets a group of stranded sailors and has a crisis of identity regarding her mortal and divine sides.
- Brain Food, Lisa Mosconi - The only non-fiction piece on this list, Brain Food takes the phrase “you are what you eat” to a cerebral level, exploring the relationship between what we eat, and how we think, act, and feel. The book is filled with great tips and tricks on how to live a healthier life, physically and mentally.
- Only Child, Rhiannon Navin - During a school shooting, Zach Taylor’s older brother is killed alongside many of his friends. Forced to grow up immediately, the novel follows the fallout of the shooting through Zach’s eyes, showing the reader his trauma.
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, Bryn Greenwood - Wavy takes on the responsibilities of both a mother and father while struggling to raise her eight year old brother. Both their parents are meth dealers, but Wavy finds refuge in the stars and the night sky. Believe it or not, this is an unlikely love story with lots of “Ugly and Wonderful Things”, as the title would suggest.
- The Hate U Gave, Angie Thomas - Starr Carter is a sixteen year old girl who constantly moves between two facets of her life, the fancy prep school she attends and the downtrodden neighborhood she grew up in. Her world is turned upside down when one of her best friends is shot and killed by a police officer. Protests being to rise following the shooting, with Starr being the only witness to the horrific event.